March 2018 attempt to establish the Berkeley Police Commission
- Kriss Worthington, Councilmember D7
- Andrea Pritchett, Police Review Commission (appointed by Cheryl Davila)
- George Lippman, Police Review Commission (appointed by Kate Harrison)
- Berkeley Campaign for Police Accountability
Replace the Police Review Commission with a new body with vastly expanded powers and no accountability. Increases costs significantly. Likely to heighten tensions with the Berkeley Police Department, possibly to the breaking point.
- Charter change would put Berkeley police oversight into citizen hands (but whose?)
- Opinion: We must stop new initiative to hand power over the police department to Berkeley’s Police Review Commission
- Opinion: Berkeley should reduce, not enhance, its Police Review Commission
- Opinion: City Council must reject the misguided ballot initiative regarding Berkeley’s Police Review Commission in its current form
- Berkeley may soon have a new police accountability commission
Tabled in a 5-4 vote. Worthington, Davila, Harrison, Bartlett opposed tabling the measure.